Monday, October 25, 2010

iPad Orientation Lock Switch to become Mute Switch with iOS 4.2

I just finished reading an article on 9to5Mac that says that when the iPad is upgraded to iOS 4.2, the orientation lock will become a mute switch.  As the article pointed out that since the change will be done through software, there will be a way to choose one or the other, or even both.

Well, think again.

The same article carried an email exchange between a 9to5Mac reader  and Steve Jobs where the latter confirmed the reconfiguration and that the switch will not do both functions; nor there is a way to choose which function to assign to the switch.  It will just be a mute switch. Period.

If you ask me, I would rather have the orientation lock function because I use my iPad a lot for reading books with iBooks or my PDF files with GoodReader.  I like reading on the bed and it would really be a challenge to do that when the screen would keep rotating.  Perhaps it's Jobs' way of telling me not to read on bed.

Why make it a mute switch when we could just adjust the volume to zero?

No comments:

Post a Comment